Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
T
I've been meaning to add my 2 pounds worth.

Several years ago (circa late 2007) I reached my highest peak and sustained weights. My sustained weight was about 244 pounds and my short-term peak was 248. I knew I should weigh less but did not really do anything about it.

Let's face it, it was part of a "pity party" since my wife wasn't interested in being sexual with me. It was a long gradual weight increase.

Finally, in the spring 2008 I took the first steps to get into an excercise routine and to lose weight and lost 27 pounds from March to August. I tried to keep up with my routine (mostly walking) but eventually tailed off as other stuff "got in the way." While I saw results and tried to walk several days a week, I had no specific targets. My weight crept back up slowly, staying in the 220's during most of 2009. By the beginning of 2010, after Christmas and Thanksgiving, I was back up to 232. I began to work on wight reduction and dropped back into the 220's.

In April of last year, I joined a walking challenge with a team of people to reach a specific total mileage (combined) over a sixty-day period. The only requirement...that I log my steps daily using a pedometer.

After the first week, and finding that it was relatively easy for my to make 12,000 to 14,000 steps per day (6 to 7 miles), I upped my output to meet a personal goal of 1 million steps over the 60-day period (500 miles). The weight began to fall off in a stairstep pattern. After the challenge ended, I continued to walk on a daily basis and to log my steps. Many of my team members also continued to walk as well. Even when on vacation, I found a way to keep my program going.

By the end of last summer I was down to 200 pounds, though the rate of weight loss was falling off. I continued to walk throughout the fall and even in all our unusual winter weather (snowy and cold).

I am now down to 188. My average (and target) step count is 20,000 per day. My pedometer also measures "aerobic walking steps" (more than 10 minutes of continous walking at a pace of 60 steps per minute or higher). My target for aerobic walking is 10,000 steps (5 miles) per day. My typical walking pace is about 118 steps per minute.

I didn't alter my diet greatly , though I did alter it some. And although my rate of weight change has decreased, my body is still changing size. I've gone from a waist size in pants down to 36 (34 is a bit too tight, 36 is a bit loose). Shirt size has dropped from XL down to somewhere between M and L. I can almost fit back into my size medium climbing harness.

A couple of weeks ago I was in Santa Fe (7000 feet above sea level) and I expected the high altiutde to present more of a challenge to my walking at the pace I usually walk. I was pleasantly suprised to see that I could maintain the pace I was used to with only minimal stress on my breathing. Yes, it idi increase my heart rate and I was aware of the thinner air, but not to any great degree of distress.

I do have a final weight goal of less than 179. I'm within striking distance. When I return to my 40th high school reunion this October, I'll be pretty close to the same weight I was when I graduated high school.

The Captain

Last sex: 04/06/1997
Last attempt: 11/11/1997
W Issues "No Means No" Declaration: 11/11/1997
W chooses to terminate sex 05/1998
I gained 60, then lost 85 pounds.
Start running again (marathons)
Y
Y
That is impressive! Well done Captain. Just logging on for a moment from my road trip.

>43 years of marriage--My wife and I are now closer than we have been in decades. I believe that my SSM is over.
T
T
Just an update...now at 183

One step at a time.

The Captain

Last sex: 04/06/1997
Last attempt: 11/11/1997
W Issues "No Means No" Declaration: 11/11/1997
W chooses to terminate sex 05/1998
I gained 60, then lost 85 pounds.
Start running again (marathons)
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4