Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 13 1 2 3 4 12 13
M
M
First of all, is what she said true?

Second, DO NOT ask her to not talk to you like that. Be assertive. And say that she will not talk to you that way Period. How did you use to discipline her when she was young?

Now she's turning into your W.

M-43 W-40
2D - 9 and 5

Emotion, yet peace.
Ignorance, yet knowledge.
Passion, yet serenity.
Chaos, yet harmony.
Death, yet a new life.

RECONCILED AND WISER
L
OP Offline
L
Hello Mr. Bond,

Yes, we have plenty of hot sauces. I was going to bring home two more and then mail them to my son, who has requested them, but it would it fact be cheaper to send them from here.

I am bringing home salsa, already bought, as we do not have any and the Swedish version is awful.

Okay, I was not sure how hard to push back language-wise. This:

daughter name - I am your dad. What you wrote is bossy, impolite, and disrespectful. I will not accept you talking to me that way. Pa

Yes, my W rubs off a lot onto her, for the worse IMO.

Luke

M58, xW54
S22, D18
M 1984, D 2016
Living a new life.
T
T
I was thinking something along the lines of:

D, If you would like to ask something of me then do so in a polite tone.
Demanding will get you nowhere.

Don't state the obvious, don't justify yourself.

M36 W31
S4 S2
T5 M4
BD Jan12 S July12
Recon Sep12-Nov12
ILBINILWY Jan13
OM x 2 in 2013
W wants R July 13
I start D. Jan 14.
Meet GF Nov 13
Have I changed enough? Jul 14

The World is still My Oyster!
P
P
Originally Posted By: LuckyLuke
Yes, exactly - I can see what to say to my W, but this is d15 writing.

This is what I think I should say

"daughter name - I am your dad. What you wrote is bossy, ordering me around, without even a please, and I find it disrespectful. Please do not talk to me that way, as I will not accept it.
Pa
"

"The last time I checked, I don't take orders from 15 year olds. I love you and can't wait to see you soon!"

Don't justify your child's disrespect by explaining yourself.

-PM

M:12y - BD:12/11 - D:6/13 - 4Ds

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." -MLK Jr.
M
M
You don't need to justify why you're bringing hot sauces. Just be upfront with her and tell her that she is not to talk to you like that again. Use her as a starting point to how you act to your W.

M-43 W-40
2D - 9 and 5

Emotion, yet peace.
Ignorance, yet knowledge.
Passion, yet serenity.
Chaos, yet harmony.
Death, yet a new life.

RECONCILED AND WISER
M
M
Hi Luke... I am starting off on assertiveness training too. My IC suggests to box it *PNP* (positive, negative, positive)... maybe like this:

D15, I love you, I will not tollerate disrespect, I can't wait to see you.

As Bond suggests, use her as your starting point on how to demand respect from your wife. Do not allow this behaviour, it breeds further disrespect. Lets start standing up here!!

You and me... U in?

Magic

M:46 H:49 T:20yrs
myD:22
H distant summer/12
H sleeping in b'ment: Nov/12
BD: Dec 2/12
asked me begin to move end of Jan/13
moved Jan 7/13 (left my stuff)
"agreed" to "working on r" Mar 3/13(lipservice!)
M
M
also,... gotta LOVE what PM wrote:

"When you are working on you, as in this case, focus on your actions, not so much how others react to your actions"

AWESOME STUFF ^^^^ right there!!

Magic!

M:46 H:49 T:20yrs
myD:22
H distant summer/12
H sleeping in b'ment: Nov/12
BD: Dec 2/12
asked me begin to move end of Jan/13
moved Jan 7/13 (left my stuff)
"agreed" to "working on r" Mar 3/13(lipservice!)
S
S
Quote:
Yes, we have plenty of hot sauces. I was going to bring home two more and then mail them to my son, who has requested them, but it would it fact be cheaper to send them from here.

I am bringing home salsa, already bought, as we do not have any and the Swedish version is awful.

Hey Luke, most 15 yr old girls are not the least interested in sauces from other countries. However, if you were to buy her something that teenage girls like.....it may be more appreciated. Even a T-shirt from that city/country would be more appealing to her.

Don't ask her what she wants. Surprise her. If she doesn't act excited when you give it to her (in person), then you need to look in her room to see what her interests are. Most times, you can just stick your head in the door and the room quickly tells you what she likes. Know what I mean? Who is her favorite celebrity? What singer does she like? What's her favorite color? What does she have on her bedroom walls?

It is not about what you feel should work in your M. It is about doing the work that gets the right results. Do what works!
L
OP Offline
L
Hola MM,

Yes, I am in - and pleased to meet you.

I had an interesting talk with T about daughter's mail, where he said that using an I statement would be good (she can't disagree with my feelings) and then taking it from there to the larger "you shouldn't boss people around" principle.

Gotta go to work - later - L

M58, xW54
S22, D18
M 1984, D 2016
Living a new life.
L
OP Offline
L
Okay, incorporating T's advice to say how I felt (d cannot disagree with how I felt, and using "I" makes it direct):

"XXX – I felt sad and irritated by your mail. Irritated because I felt bossed around, and sad because you were telling me I couldn’t do something - completely insignificant - that I wanted. I am bringing home some salsa (which to my knowledge does not harm you) just because I want to. Yes, we have plenty of hot sauce. I think you will find that being polite when making requests produces better results than what you wrote. "

Sandi2 - this was not intended as a present for daughter, but as a kitchen supply. Swedish "salsa" is horrible, tasteless, goop. D is getting dried cherries and almond M+Ms, which she adores, and which you can't get in Sweden. My love language is gifts.

Luke

M58, xW54
S22, D18
M 1984, D 2016
Living a new life.
Page 2 of 13 1 2 3 4 12 13

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard