Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11
H
harvey Offline OP
OP Offline
H
I'm not seriously thinking about dating at this time, but it's kind of cathartic to fill out a online dating profile. Call it preparing for the next step. I've never done online dating. Anybody have any suggestions for an "About Me" section. These are hard, and I know it's not very good. However, I'd like the ladies on the board to help me out here. What would draw your interest?

Here was my first draft:

Hello! I'm a single Dad to two wonderful daughters. I share joint custody, so I have free nights to meet new people. I love to travel. Beaches, mountains, overseas; it doesn't matter. I love the outdoors. I live for the serenity of sitting around a campfire in the Badlands. I love hanging out with family or game nights with friends, but I also like quiet nights at home with the ones I love the most. I'm always up for a good concert, game, or play. Volunteering is important to me--as is my faith. This nice guy is looking for a fun-loving, adventurous, faith-filled partner in this crazy thing called life.

H
harvey Offline OP
OP Offline
H
I'm really putting myself out there with this one. smile

F
F
Hi Harvey

First impressions if I was reading that online is that this is a man who is not ready to be dating (it sounds like between your family and your friends there really isn't room for anyone else) ... but if you do want to dip your toe in, then maybe something like this ...

Hello! I'm a single dad who has joint custody of two wonderful daughters. I love to travel to exotic places. I also love just being outdoors. Some of my favorite evenings have been spent sitting by the warmth of a campfire in the Badlands. I love hanging out with friends, quiet nights at home and a good concert, game, or play. Volunteering is important to me--as is my faith. My daughters are my world, but there is also room in my world for someone who finds beauty in the simple joy of sitting by the campfire, or hanging out with good friends ... you never know, we might even travel to exotic places together someday.

Last edited by FlySolo; 11/29/18 07:56 AM.

W40 (me), H40
M14, Together 16
D12, D9

BD Oct 17
Moved out Mar 18

Y
Y
Just my two cents: . Let them read about you and your interests first, then later introduce how important your kids are
and that you're a single dad. It's the most important thing to you, but daters might want to learn about your hobbies and personality first. Perhaps other dating parents can weigh in on this point.

My only thought is to add an example or two! You say you like to travel - name a place or two you've been, or maybe a place or two that are on your list you'd like to visit. Just adds a bit of realness that you don't just "say" you like to travel.

W
W
Harvey,

I, too, filled out an online dating profile. Not sure why. Maybe because it feels like it will end up being the next step I will be taking and will help with detaching right now. I haven't been that active on it and I can't be "found" publicly at this time.

It's a totally foreign dynamic. Online dating wasn't around the last time I was single. I used to joke with my friends how awesome Tinder would have been when we were in college, haha!

It also helps me to realize that there are a lot of very good looking women on there that have their status as "divorced." Between this forum and that, it's sort of a good reminder that a lot of people have gone through what I am, currently. I don't think I'm at a point where I would enter into a semi-serious relationship, but it would be nice to interact with some women who show general interest in me just as a confidence builder. Like I said, right now I don't show up publicly. I only show up to those that I have "liked." My status is currently separated so maybe that scares some off, I don't know. That and the range of my searching is quite vast since I'm in the middle of small town America and distance might be a turn off to most.

The part that gives me anxiety is actually reaching out...what do you say as an ice breaker?! I've always been sort of the "shy guy." Was never the outlandish, outgoing dude that would just walk up to girls and start talking. I guess I'm going to have to get over that fear, if you want to call it that, for it to ever work.

Last edited by Wanted1; 11/29/18 02:40 PM.

M: 34 W:34
D:7 D:6 S:3

M: 9.5 years T: 12

OM found & BD (by me): 9/19/18
IHS begins
W informs me she's moving out: 11/28/18
W files: 12/21/18
D Final: 2/25/19
T
T
I don't reach out......I sit back and wait for them to come to me.

Married 14, Together 17
M: 44, W: 43, D: 8, D: 6
M: 46, W: 45. D: 10. D: 8 (CUR)
Bomb Dropped: 5/28/2017
Separation Date: 6/17/2017
Divorce Filed: 2/7/2018
Divorce Final: 4/12/2018
G
G
Originally Posted by harvey
Hello! I'm a single Dad to two wonderful daughters.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you are not divorced yet, right? If not, then you are not a single dad. You are a married man who is separated. I think this is very misleading, and I would definitely not want to get involved unless someone was firmly divorced. In fact I would be mad if I thought someone was divorced then found out they were just separated. I would be careful about dating too early. I think it's a set-up for a rebound relationship, and doesn't allows us to find ourselves. Anyway, that's my 2 cents.

M: 56
H: 57
S: 22
D: 20

H Moved out: 10/1/18
H
harvey Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Originally Posted by Grace21
Originally Posted by harvey
Hello! I'm a single Dad to two wonderful daughters.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you are not divorced yet, right? If not, then you are not a single dad. You are a married man who is separated. I think this is very misleading, and I would definitely not want to get involved unless someone was firmly divorced. In fact I would be mad if I thought someone was divorced then found out they were just separated. I would be careful about dating too early. I think it's a set-up for a rebound relationship, and doesn't allows us to find ourselves. Anyway, that's my 2 cents.

My divorce goes final on Monday. I will not be opening my profile until after that, and probably not even until next summer when I move to where we are settling for good.

Thanks for the help! Is this better?

Hello! I love to travel to exotic places. Whether that is lying on the beach on the Carolina shore, going on a safari in Kenya, or hiking in Glacier National Park, it doesn't matter. I also love being outdoors. Some of my favorite evenings have been spent sitting by the warmth of a campfire in the Badlands. I love hanging out with friends, quiet nights at home, and a good concert, game, or play. Volunteering is important to me--as is my faith. I'm a single Dad who has joint custody of two wonderful daughters. My daughters are my world, but there is room in my world for a fun-loving, adventurous, faith-filled partner who finds beauty in the simple joy of sitting by the campfire, hanging out with friends, or traveling to exotic places.

N
N
Harvey, you don“t have to value yourself getting into online dating. There“s no need of that kind of test. Are you expecting some kind of W reaction?

Take your time to heal and get into your new life. Do some GAL, get into a physical exercising routine and be there for your girls.

Life gets better as time goes by. Use time wisely Cadet says.

Be strong there H!

WW H(me): 53
W: 48
T: 27 M: 22
S: 18
Piecing since 03/2016
Saw the light in the storm
H
harvey Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Originally Posted by neffer
Harvey, you don“t have to value yourself getting into online dating. There“s no need of that kind of test. Are you expecting some kind of W reaction?

Take your time to heal and get into your new life. Do some GAL, get into a physical exercising routine and be there for your girls.

Life gets better as time goes by. Use time wisely Cadet says.

Be strong there H!

W won't have a clue about it. I wouldn't want her to see this. I won't make this public until next summer at the earliest. I thought it might make me feel better. It's actually been a bit discouraging, so I think I'll just leave well enough alone for now.

Last edited by harvey; 11/29/18 04:08 PM.
Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard