Love the person, forgive the sin.
2 members like this: MamaG, grok
DnJ #2950097 06/19/24 03:41 PM
D
DnJ Online OP
OP Online
D
Good Morning

Father’s Day was celebrated here on Saturday. My Dad gets up on Saturdays, otherwise bedridden. Saturday’s weather was extremely fortunate. Unlike during my last attempt at a BBQ, it was clear and calm - all day!

I made plans for my Dad and Mom to come over to enjoy a campfire for the day. I planned on cooking over the fire, and just enjoying the day.

On Friday, my eldest son called and asked if I was going to be around for the weekend. He and youngest son came out Saturday and stayed the night.

Was a great day! The two boys, well mostly the eldest, burned up the majority of the pile of fallen wood I’ve been accumulating. We had smokies, campfire pies, and roasted marshmallows.

Mom and Dad left at dusk, while the three of us remained up into the dark of night. Eldest son went to bed first. He had a big day cleaning up the woodpile. A Father’s Day gift.

About 30 minutes passed my son and I going inside, while watching a movie, a thunderstorm hit. Suddenly, lots of wind, rain, and hail! Oh my goodness. With the south wind the hail was smashing into the picture windows and making a huge racket. It was so loud that eldest son was woken up and came up from downstairs to see what was going on.

The hail was around grape sized. My eldest started to open the door to grab a couple of pieces of the icy chunks, when two blasted the door’s window. Nope. That changed his mind. Getting clobbered would hurt.

The storm lasted about 15 minutes. In the light of the next day, the rain gauge showed 1/2 inch of rain fell during that 15 minutes. The daylight also revealed a few trees had blown over. Two right by the house. Sigh. The woodpile is going to get filled up again. lol.

Thankfully, no damages to house or vehicles. And the dogs are well protected in their metal clad doghouse.

My F925 mower developed a leak in the hydrostatic drive. On the Friday before Father’s Day, my grass cutting was cut short as fluid was flowing pass the seal on the swashplate shaft/assemble.

Monday, I picked up a replacement seal and started the process of replacing it. What a pain! That struggle lead into the next day. The major problem, the original seal has a metal backing which is all that is exposed when the C clip and washer is removed. Unlike the replacement which is just rubber. With the metal covering, I could not pry out the old seal. Of course, I am working in a congested space under the seat, and having to contort into uncomfortable positions to gain access and reach it.

I ended up drilling a small hole into the metal surface. Screwed in a wood screw. And with a pry bar attempted to remove the seal. Nope. It did rip the metal apart though. So, with continued prying, one hand holding a small screwdriver into the tare, and the other hand utilizing a pry bar to push the screwdriver out, I managed to slowly rip apart the metal cover. Oh my poor back! What an unergonomic placement of the hydraulic motor/pump. LOL!

Eventually, with over half of the metal removed, I got enough purchase on the actual rubber seal and internal retaining spring, that the seal did pry out. It’s a tight fit! Which then brought about the next problem. How do I get the new seal in? Haha.

Well, it fit easily on to the shaft, and slid up to the pump body. I used a 3/4 inch closed end wrench to fit over the shaft and onto the seal. Then with prying against a metal piece of the PTO engaging switch assemble, I could pry the seal into its recess.

I haven’t got to test the repair as last night there was more rain. An inch and a half fell. The grass is too wet. Oh well, maybe this afternoon. I sure hope the leak is fixed.

Grass, tress, windows, a roof leak, and so on. It’s busy around here!

Two of my Aunts died, one on Friday and one on Saturday. Mom and her remaining sister, as well as myself, will attend the memorials. One of the memorials is 1800 km away, where my aunt (Mom’s SIL) lived in a care home. We are making plans for the road trip. We will also visit with my Mom’s remaining brother (husband of the aunt) and the kids. Haven’t seen them for quite a while.

That uncle is not doing well, and lives in the same care home. He has dementia, and is/thinks he is living back when he was young. Believes he is back on the farm of 50-60 years ago.

Hope you all have a great day!

D

Feelings are fleeting.
Be better, not bitter.
DnJ #2950098 06/19/24 05:21 PM
job Offline
I am happy to read that Father's Day was a good one for you and your family. I am so sorry you had a storm that created such a mess. We were complaining here for weeks about all of the rain and now...it is dry as a bone. We need a good shower or two of rain here. Send it on down...we'll be happy to see it.

I am so sorry about your Aunts. Please drive safely and know that I will be saying a few prayers for them.

Have a great day!

Sit quietly, the answers will reveal themselves when you least expect them to.
The past is gone, the present is a gift and you need to focus on today, allow the future to reveal itself when it is ready.
1 member likes this: DnJ
DnJ #2950104 06/20/24 02:11 PM
D
DnJ Online OP
OP Online
D
Hurray! The leak is fixed!

Now, on to cleaning up the fallen trees.

Feelings are fleeting.
Be better, not bitter.
DnJ #2950107 06/20/24 08:10 PM
G
G
Originally Posted by DnJ
working in a congested space under the seat, and having to contort into uncomfortable positions to gain access and reach it.

I ended up drilling a small hole into the metal surface. Screwed in a wood screw. And with a pry bar attempted to remove the seal. Nope. It did rip the metal apart though.

These kind of adventures always bring to mind 25 years ago...when I sent one of my teams to work on a diesel generator in a confined space. They figured the front plate needed removal. Cast iron. Maybe 50lbs and ~15 bolts. It was old and the old seal made it stuck so they got out their pry bars and whatnot. It did eventually come off.

We gave that front plate to the crew chief as a farewell gift when he left that assignment. It had a chunk missing where they had missed removing a bolt. They had removed the plate by accidentally cracking off the inch thick cast iron around that bolt thinking it was a stuck seal...

I'm glad your leak got fixed. Not like they fixed that diesel generator.

g

Last edited by grok; 06/20/24 08:13 PM.

H:54 W:50
D19, D17, S12
ILYBINILWY 3/23
DB1 4/23, rescinded 5/23
DB2 6/23 ("I can't do this, I Love HIM")
Legal Mediation 1-5 & W moves out 8/23 – 3/24
Settlement signed 5/24, Court date 9/11 <-
1 member likes this: DnJ
DnJ #2950110 06/21/24 02:56 PM
D
DnJ Online OP
OP Online
D
Good Morning grok

Haha. That front plate would’ve be a funny gift.

One of my first lessons as a Technician, going back over 30 years now, manufactures hide bolts/screws under stickers, nameplates, and such. I broke an aluminum housing on an electric hoist motor while splitting it apart to fix its leaking seal. I missed a bolt which was under a sticker. smile

Had another rain storm last night. Quite a wet year so far. Nice to see stuff so green. (job, I’m willing to share the rain. lol.)

D

Feelings are fleeting.
Be better, not bitter.
DnJ #2950168 07/04/24 03:46 PM
D
DnJ Online OP
OP Online
D
Happy 4th of July!

Our celebration was on July 1st. Lots of rain drowned out the fireworks here.

I did visit my son and DIL over the weekend. Their community moved their fireworks to Saturday. Maybe they were looking at the forecast. Anyhow, we did see the last minute online notice Saturday afternoon, so we made plans, went to the beach that night, and took in a pretty good display.

Feelings are fleeting.
Be better, not bitter.
DnJ #2950240 07/27/24 05:01 PM
D
DnJ Online OP
OP Online
D
Good Morning

Back from my eight day adventure with my Mom and Aunt. We drove 6600 km. We visited with relatives for a couple of days at the memorial service and over the weekend. The journey had many stops at various scenic locations, and some long days.

Quite enjoyable.

And also, nice to be back home. smile

D

Feelings are fleeting.
Be better, not bitter.
DnJ #2950287 08/10/24 01:49 PM
M
M
Welcome home DnJ. I'm sorry to hear about TWO of your aunts. Hugs to you and mom. 6600 km is a lot of traveling. Glad you're home safe to enjoy the rest of your summer.

How's the cleanup going from June? Hopefully it's behind you....I'm just catching up and came across mother nature's surprise in your thread.

H:49 W:49
M:26; T:32
D21; S23
BD1: Feb 2023 (I think it was a BD)
BD2: Sept 2023
Moved out: Dec 2023
DnJ #2950292 08/12/24 01:59 PM
D
DnJ Online OP
OP Online
D
Good Morning MG

Thanks.

I still got trees to clean up. smile Things are settling down here and I’ll get focused back on getting them cut up and hauled away.

D

Feelings are fleeting.
Be better, not bitter.

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard