Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
C
C
Grok

Glad to hear the powers back on . Get cooking for those kids . Keep checking in .

G
grok Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Originally Posted by Caligirl
Grok

Glad to hear the powers back on . Get cooking for those kids . Keep checking in .

Yeah, a camp stove works...but thawed frozen spring rolls and french fries and chicken breasts and so on aren't quite the same. Tacos and pancakes worked well thought smile

Oven, microwave, air fryer, stove, insta-pot, ... make rice, Mac-n-Cheese, green beans, croissants (from a can), and so on much easier. Coffee too!

Kids grumbling about how much extra dishwashing needed in cold water...but now the dishwasher works and water is hot. I just laugh in Gen X.

g

H:54 W:50
D19, D17, S12
ILYBINILWY 3/23
DB1 4/23, rescinded 5/23
DB2 6/23 ("I can't do this, I Love HIM")
Legal Mediation 1-5 & W moves out 8/23 – 3/24
Settlement 5/24, Court 9/11/24 <-, D 9/16/24
G
grok Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Well! This has been quite the week! My Milton story… in parts.

BLUF: We are all safe, only minor damage to property. No power Wed 11:30p - Sun 5:30a. Fuel not available or difficult until this Mon. evening. Early there was only two stations with lines more than a mile long each. Water is still on.

I’ve been through plan, prepare, execute, recover with crises and disasters before. I know how to do this and I think came through very well. I have my little list from my own personal After Action Review (AAR) of things I could do better in the future. Still, came through with only discomfort ongoing. Nothing serious.

Monday:

Some telework done for most of the day. Making sure I have food and water for a week if needed. Camp stove has enough fuel. Flashlights and batteries. Get all laundry done for…once the power goes out.

I’m watching the storm track for consistent trends. I follow a lot of partially processed data and models. And a couple of weather folks I feel play it straight. I check my analysis and start to set my thresholds on what I am comfortable with. I plan on riding it out at my house unless they are passed. I am in an evacuation zone A, but those general purpose zones do not take into account any local features specific to my home. i.e. built on fill to raise the foundation to 11.5ft over sea level, dense trees behind up to our roof level, and houses on either side just 10 feet away. This provide substantial protection from wind and flooding.

XW Messages

”Let’s swap. L’s mom has a master bedroom which is too much for one me. You and the kids go there and I will stay with the animals because I have acquired a cat from a friend who is out of town and MirBay is likely to be slammed. I am going to get the cat after I fill the car. Milton is a beast. The house should be fine. The kids will feel safer with you and the animals will feel safer with me.”

”Fill the car at my RV. I have a full tank of gas. “

”May I drop a small stash of electronics and kids papers at the house?”

I didn’t message back. I let it sit first.

She comes by in the evening before I reply and asks to stash some things. I say sure.

I don’t answer the first part about her staying in my home as she didn’t ask while here. It feels like other reasons are behind it…maybe she obligated herself to care for the cat and now has no place for it. I’ll leave with my kids if I determine it unsafe and I’ll stay if I determine it to be safe.

g

D19, D17, S12
ILYBINILWY 3/23
DB1 4/23, rescinded 5/23
G
grok Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Tuesday:

Cleanup
Kids and I pick up the outside to prevent yard missiles from being generated. 100+ mph winds can throw a lot of things…. OOooof that was a lot of stuff. The little back yard has been turned into chicken and amateur garden areas and had many years of stuff laying around. Table and bench layed flat on the porch. Potted plants put on top. Made space in the garage for all the supplies and equipment. Hoses taken off. Filled the trash can with old stuff I’m not keeping.

D19 SHRIEKS! ”Dad! Dad! I think I squished a mouse!”
G, “What?! What are you talking about D19?”

There had been some mice I was trying to get rid of from our porch. They had been hiding in a pile of posts. Earlier I had moved the posts since D19 didn’t want to come near a mouse and I saw one scurry away.

D19 excitedly, “I was trying to move this and I saw it and got scared and dropped it and I think it landed on it!” It being a bale of peat moss that was soaking wet and pretty heavy.

Sure enough, when I later moved the bale the next day, there was a flat mouse. She did squish it!

Prep cont
We stock the freezers with 10+ gallons of water to freeze. We fill all the water containers we have in case water service goes out. We have toilet paper and shovel available for digging a pit toilet if necessary.

After checking the latest Milton data, I decide it is still likely to be OK riding out the storm at home so long as trends continue away from us. There is still a lot of uncertainty though and it bothers me. I will check tomorrow’s 5am and 11am data sets. If the trend continues away then we are OK. If it doesn’t then we should leave. I’m looking for consistent trends of a Cat 3 before it hits land and consistent movement south of our location.

XW Messages in the evening

She sends a screenshot of her reply to my mom (who inquired after her safety). She replies to my mom: that she has a place to go, it has room for me and kids, she can take pets and simply drive north.

”L’s mom has two rooms.  If you change your mind I can empty my trunk somewhere and haul pets north east.  It’s tracking further south but still likely to be nasty. “ 

”I can’t take the chickens but I can take the dogs and bunny and birds if I know enough in advance.

An hour and a half later I reply. “Thank you for the offer. I will keep it as an option if I decide it is the better choice to leave. “

I try to validate and thank the genuine offer … but not respond to underlying currents seemingly attempting to influence my choices for her own reasons.

g

D19, D17, S12
ILYBINILWY 3/23
DB1 4/23, rescinded 5/23
G
grok Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Wednesday:

Crunch time

I’m up for the 5am update which shows the storm staying on last nights course and strength. Hum….. Not consistent movement south like I wanted. We are still in the cone. I am tempted to modify my earlier judgement. Instead I follow wisdom from my work…don’t change or modify the calm and soberly considered standards you chose before. I will delay final judgement until the 11am update. We will still have until 2p until stormy winds and rain and another 3hrs after that until hazardous conditions. It would only be a local overnight to higher ground. I will wake the kids in a bit to make all the prep to go. We can always stand down if it turns better.

XW

7:15a message ”I would like to stay at the house if you will allow it. I don’t think my heart will handle being away from the kids for something this big.

At 7:30 I head out to give big dog his morning walk. It is cool and calm with half the neighbors gone. I see XW’s van parked at the end of the street a few houses down. So….she drove over and has been here for how long? I don’t know. For a moment I feel like ignoring her for now and taking the dog on his walk. I chide myself, "g, that’s kinda avoidant of you. Face your pain. Do what you choose…and in line with who you choose to be and your values.”.

I walk over to the driver side and see her slumped against the window with her face in her hands.

G, calmly and slowly with consideration, ”Hey….. Go in the house.”

XW jumps slightly, and opens the door…setting off the car alarm in a completely silent and still neighborhood. She scrambles to figure out how to turn it off. Eventually she figures out to push to right button on the key fob. ”Go ahead…*sigh*…you can laugh at me,” she said with resignation and good humor apparently. She goes into my home and I go on the dog walk.

Go prep

As kids wake I tell them to build their go bags. Unless the 11am comes though substantially better, we are going. I’ll decide then. Put enough together for an overnight. I start sealing the back door and garage door to give a couple more feet of protection should flooding occur. Kids don’t want to leave any animals…even inside on the second floor. D19’s rabbit can go to family friends who originally found him. Chickens can go to one of D19’s friends who has chickens.

XW

XW ~11, ”Hey, I’ll take the dogs in my van and find somewhere else to go, even just north. “

G, ”OK. That is fine with me.”. She can choose what she wants.

XW ~11:15 ”Hey, I have to know if we’re going because I have to leave earlier. Are we going?”

I have a bunch of thoughts at this sequence. But STFU smoothie
- You are an adult woman who can do what she pleases.
- What "we?"
- You can choose to leave anytime.
- You divorced me, for OM, yet:
- She is looking for me the man, head of household to lead. Make the decisions.
- OM is no where to be found.

G, thinking for a moment, ”We ARE leaving unless I get definitive better news. You are to go now. Head out. If we get better news I’ll let you know.”

XW looking a little settled at course of action defined for her, ”OK. Love you D19, D17, S12. Come on dogs.”

I hand her the bin with dog food, dog baggies, dog bowls. Off she goes.

Departure

I look at D19 who had been watching, ”You know any of you can go with her.”

D19, ”Are you nuts? Besides…. I don’t want us kids to be separated….at all.”

Oh. And in line with various kids statements several times over the last few weeks. Every time one of them has said the word “family” it meant the four of us. It seems the underlying current is us four are “family” and mom is just mom. I kind of expected this when they live 100% with me. Still not sure how I feel.

We load D17’s birds into my little truck and strap the chickens in the bed. We load D19’s bunny into her car. We load overnight stuffs. D19 and D17 take my truck to go drop off chickens. I take D19’s little car to drop off bunny. We’ll meet at L’s mom’s house in about an hour and a half. Driving rain. Roads empty. Not hazardous yet.

Overnight

I call L’s mom, a single older lady, to touch base and make sure all is well. I didn’t know her before this.

L’s Mom, ”You are welcome here. I have a couple of others staying over. Would you pick up one of them and his dog up in a while? And where is your W going if she isn’t coming here?”

G thinking…be without fear, be kind, ”I’ll be happy to pick him and his dog up. I’ll wait until D19 and D17 get there with the truck though. And … W is now XW. She left me last year for someone else. She left my home with our dogs earlier and I don’t know where she is going.”

L’s Mom, ”Oh…. That’s hard…. I understand… I experienced some of that when I was 14. Well, she’s a grown woman and makes her own choices. She can worry about where she is going.”

It was us four, a man and his dog+cat, and a woman that L’s mom worked with. It was a pleasant evening getting to know them and ended with the man and us four playing UNO … with special rules my kids play such as +2 and +4 cards are stackable!

L’s mom gave us the master bedroom with large bed. D19 and D17 decided they would sleep on the sides with S12 in the middle. They crashed out pretty quick after we quit UNO. I slept on one end of the couch with the man on the other end.

g

D19, D17, S12
ILYBINILWY 3/23
DB1 4/23, rescinded 5/23
M
M
G - I have so much to learn from you. While I get emotional, you provide me with chuckles. I sat here and laughed on a couple of comments. You are quite a writer. Love how you set the stage leading up to the funny.

And D's response - are you nuts? Love it. They too have come a long way.

Nice job taking XW in stride. And, interesting that she turned to you to be the calm in the storm - pun intended. SMH

Nice to be reminded of all the wonderful people in this world - she opened her house and gave your family the master. Poor kindness. And you got a fun UNO night with a new friend, too.

I'll assume you're back home at this point, especially with this sense of humor.

Take care.

Last edited by MamaG; 10/15/24 10:57 PM.

H:49 W:49
M:26; T:32
D21; S23
BD1: Feb 2023 (I think it was a BD)
BD2: Sept 2023
Moved out: Dec 2023
D
DnJ Online
D
Good Morning g

You and the kids weathered this adventure well. Nice going Dad!

Originally Posted by grok
D19, ”Are you nuts? Besides…. I don’t want us kids to be separated….at all.”

Lol.

Also, doesn’t get much clearer than that.

Every time one of them has said the word “family” it meant the four of us. It seems the underlying current is us four are “family” and mom is just mom.

That is how it is for my brood as well. Remain the strong and stable rock g.

I have a bunch of thoughts at this sequence. But STFU smoothie
- You are an adult woman who can do what she pleases.
- What "we?"
- You can choose to leave anytime.
- You divorced me, for OM, yet:
- She is looking for me the man, head of household to lead. Make the decisions.
- OM is no where to be found.

Well done holding your tongue.

However, yes, where was OM during XW’s stress? Shrug. Such is such a relationship built upon sand.

Have a great day g!

D

Feelings are fleeting.
Be better, not bitter.
Love the person, forgive the sin.
G
grok Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Side XW storm notes I forgot.

After the storm in draft. Time to make dinner for the kids. Bacon crumbled into Mac-n-cheese + Broccoli sprouts.

Other XW remarks this last week to which I stayed STFU smooth.

”Last weeks hurricane, I stayed in the RV Park clubhouse. If I stayed this time I’d be dead with the predicted flood surge.”

I had no idea. I didn’t ask. I wondered where her friends were. I wondered where OM was. I wondered if she was trying to prove something on her own. I let it go.

”I moved my stuff out of the RV into my storage units, but I don’t know if I’ll have ANYTHING left after this. NOTHING to come back to.”

I stayed with versions of “OK” or STFU.

Does she have insurance on any of it? I don’t know.

In a short side conversation with D19 about the RV she says, ”I think she does, but honestly, it would be better if it got wiped out.”

Side XW FB notes I forgot.

On FB social media I posted the quote about "a death has occurred" on the date of the court order. Later it occurred to me XW might see it. Huh. It occurred to me later.... I looked in my friends list and didn't see her there anymore. Hmmm...I guess she unfriended me? I had been chatting a bit with the maid-of-honor that week as she is an old friend of mine also. I checked her friend list and XW is not there. ???

I hadn't seen posts from or checked her postings for six months or more. I forget now. I debated briefly with myself about checking now. Why would I? I decided to check just briefly. She is in my life because of our kids. Having a general awareness is important for them at least. And I was curious.

- Not listed by her name anymore, although the direct link has her name if you know it.
- Display name is a steampunk style nickname (historically a minor noble) I gave her many many years ago
- Friends list is blank, NONE listed.
- A series of posts from early September railing against those who she believes to be persecuting her.
- Stating she is not giving up on OM until he tells her directly to go away and doesn't love her.
- Stating she doesn't need anyone's help.
- Stating they are all hypocrites to condemn her behavior.

I closed the tab. I feel no need to look more. I think she is ... In a rowboat in the storm. I feel no need to look again either. I wasn't sure what I would feel.

g

D19, D17, S12
ILYBINILWY 3/23
DB1 4/23, rescinded 5/23
Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard